Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Wood Fired Oven: The brickwork begins

Finally, I got the firebrick. We started by layng down the oven floor. We worked this out on the computer first by laying it out on MS Visio. It's not autocad, but it's what I have. It did accurately work out the floor and opening.



Next, we cut the circumference of the oven floor. Once the cutting was completed, I layed down the bed of fireclay and sand with a notch trowel and began puting the puzzle together on the hearth. We also cut many, many, many half bricks for the dome construction.




The next day, I began mortaring a soldier course along the perimiter of the floor. This will serve as the base for the dome. I also started working out the inside arch at the oven opening.





I have to take a weekend off to go camping. But, when I get back I will continue working my way up the dome.










No comments:

Post a Comment