Monday, January 12, 2009

Wood Fired Oven: Building the stand



The next step after forming and pouring a foundation is the building of a block stand to raise and support the hearth. The block stand was built with standard 8x8x16 block. We used a dry stack method where the joints are not mortared but every other core hole is filled with concrete and rebar. It's easy for us non-mason folk.

We also were going to pour in place a lintel. But after much debate with my friends, we used angle iron instead. I figured, this is my first one, let's not complicate matters.

After the block cures we'll form and pour the hearth. It will have to be when I get back from a mini-vacation to Tennessee.

The hearth is composed of 3.5" of structural concrete and 4" of vermiculite concrete. Vermiculite is added to cement to make an insulation layer for the hearth. I scoured the city for vermiculite and couldn't find it readily. I had read that some folks found it at Home Depot. When I called my local HD, sure enough, I found they had 10 bags each at 4cu ft of medium grade horticultural vermiculite! The lady said the price was $12.95--incidentally much cheaper than any other place I found. But when I arrived there was another surprise...they had vermiculite on clearance at $9.00!

We'll see how well we frame up the forms for the hearth. So far...so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment